HomeMission StatementContact UsSite MapLegal

Alcohol Legal Information

Beer, Wine & Liquor General Information

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) requires alcoholic beverage manufacturers, distributors, retailers, etc. to apply for licenses and permits before they may operate in the State of Texas. As an authorized agent for TABC, the County Beer and Liquor License Department collects state and county fees on several different types of licenses and permits.

Beer & Wine Permits

If you have proper identification and are the owner listed on the application, a deputy in our office will notarize your application. The Tax Office will issue a temporary receipt that must remain in public view on your premises until you receive your permanent license from TABC.

The fees shown on the application are State of Texas fees only. You will also have to pay a County fee, a state surcharge fee and, when appropriate, a renewal fee. When you have received an application for a renewal beer license from TABC, bring it to the at  . Please e-mail: for more information.

Beer licenses cannot be renewed earlier than 30 days before the renewal date. If you fail to renew your license on time, but apply for renewal between the first and 10th day after the renewal, a late fee will be added. If you fail to renew your license on time, and let more than 10 days go by after the renewal date, you will be required to do the following: 1)  cease selling beer; and 2) re-file with TABC.

The application for a new license will instruct you on where to go to get the application processed. Renewal applications can be obtained by visiting the Tax Office or can be processed by mail as long as the form is completely filled out, all copies must contain original signature by the owner and all copies are notarized. Payments can be made by check or money order or by cash if you choose to come by the office. Renewal applications by mail should be addressed to , Tax Assessor-Collector, Attn: Beer and Liquor Department, .

Liquor License

The Tax Office does not collect any state fees for liquor permits. Those fees are collected only through TABC. Applications for alcoholic beverage licenses are available from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), P.O. Box 13127, Austin, Texas 78711. Local offices of the TABC can be found on the TABC website.

When you receive notice that it's time to renew your liquor license, in addition to paying your state renewal fee, you should also contact the County Tax Office to pay the appropriate fee for the County Liquor Control Permit. This fee is always one-half of the state fee. Renewals for the County permit can also be processed by mail, or done at the downtown location.

Read our Privacy Policy
Wharton Tax Assessor/Collector
(979) 532 3312
Copyright© 2016 . All Rights Reserved.
Site Design by Spindlemedia